Bill Turner Cup Semi Finals

September 8, 2010

in News

Bill Turner Cup (Boys) Semi Finals
Tuesday 7 September, 2010 at Jack McLaughlin Field, Edgeworth

Bossley Park High 2 (Peter Markillos 50m, Domenic Dileo 53m) bt Cavendish Road State High 0.

By Bob Brooks
Bossley Park HIgh School from Western Sydney proved too strong for Cavendish Road State High from Brisbane. In a tense struggle featuring strong midfields it took until late in the second half before the ball finally found the back of the net.
Cavendish Road opened brightly threatening the Bossley Park goal. As early as the sixth minute Chris Fisher found space but his effort sailed well over the bar.
At the other end Peter Markillos met a precision cross from the right with his head which was just over the crossbar.
Luke McCallum for Bossley Park drove a low shot goalwards. It eluded the goalkeeper Matt Lugo finding the bottom of the far post and going out harmlessly.
Cavendish Road came out with more determination in the second stanza. A huge clearance from Lugo was easily cleared by the tight Bossley defence.
The game appeared headed to a draw when Markillos thundered in an unstoppable shot which left the opposition goalie stranded.
As the Brisbane team tired Bossley went further ahead as Domenic Dileo left his marker floundering, drew Lugo and placed his shot into the far corner to seal the victory.

Westfields Sports High 7 (Anthony Francl 8m, 22m, Daniel Di Ruocco 11m, Sam Kagaras 28m, Daniel Araujo 40m, Tony Lo 51m pen, Jaushua Sotirio 54m) bt Illawarra Sports High 2 (Jack Madgwick 25m, 28m).

By Greg Danvers
Westfields Sports High delivered a clear message from the opening whistle in the second semi final of the Bill Turner Cup. Attack in numbers.
And attack they did, seemingly at will, to score an emphatic 7-2 victory over Illawarra Sports High.
As the midfielders interplayed down the flanks or through the middle the defenders rolled forward and at times Illawarra were confronted with eight players in their defensive third.
An avalanche of shots on goal was repelled until the eighth minute when Anthony Francl slammed the ball into the underside of the crossbar and the lead was with the lads in the gold shirts.
Daniel Di Ruicco doubled the margin on 11 minutes before Francl netted for a second time with eight minutes remaining before the break.
Illawarra were not sleeping or not trying to score they were simply being tested by a side committed to playing in the final.
Chances came for the Wollongong outfit in the 20th and 21st minutes and it took a piece of brilliance by Jack Madgwick to reduce Westfields lead to 3-1 in the 25th.
Madgwick stroked the ball past the Westfields custodian from inside the area to nestle into the side netting at the far post. Some confidence restored.
But Westfields seemingly killed off the match with a fourth goal, probably a goal of the series.
Mariners academy member, Sam Kagaras dribbled the ball down the left flanf almost to the byline before unleashing a goal bound strike that gave Westfields a 4-1 advantage just before the break.
Madgwick and the boys from Wollongong were not done and their second goal resulted from Madgwick drawing the keeper off his line and calmly slotting the ball into the back of the net.
Three second half goals from a dominant Westfields set up their passage to the final against defending champions Bossley Park High.
Cavendish Road and Illawarra Sports High contest the third place play-off.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Previous post:

Next post: