Bill Turner Cup and Trophy third place play-offs

September 8, 2010

in News

Bill Turner Trophy – third place play-off
Wednesday 8 September, 2010 at Jack McLaughlin Field, Edgeworth

Hunter Sports High 0 drew with St Clare’s College

By Ray Sandell

St. Clare’s College and Hunter Sports High School played out a nil all draw in the third place play-off of the Bill Turner Trophy but nobody could say it was a dull game.
The first half was a pretty even affair with both defences in command and very few chances given to either team to score, but the second half became one way traffic with Hunter completely in command.
However, it was obvious that their forwards had forgotten to wear their shooting boots as they manufactured at least six opportunities to score and either completely mis-kicked the ball or sent it way wide of the goal or straight to the goalkeeper.
In the end both teams seemed satisfied with the draw and with each appearing to have many very young players in their squads, can be very proud of reaching the finals of the prestigious Bill Turner Trophy competition.

Bill Turner Cup – third place play-off
Wednesday 8 September, 2010 at Jack McLaughlin Field, Edgeworth
Illawarra Sports High 4 (Nathan Sutcliffe 13m, Jake Webster 21m, Tom Scalco, Emile Bon-Simon 35m) bt Cavendish Road State High 0.

By Greg Danvers
Illawarra Sports High lifted after suffering a 7-2 drubbing by Westfields Sports High in the semi final to post a 4-0 win over Cavendish State High in the Bill Turner Cup third place play-off at Jack McLaughlin Field today.
Two goals soon after the break had Illawarra leading by four goals but Cavendish Road was not about to give the game away and attacked at every opportunity.
Tom Scalco, in the 32nd and Emile Bon-Simon on 35 minutes doubled the half-time score of 2-0.
The first half started end-to-end with both sides willing to attack on the break but few chances on goal threatened either ‘keeper.
Brisbane’s Cavendish Road had the early domination of the match but Illawarra’s Nathan Sutcliffe gave the Wollongong team a 1-0 lead at the 13th minute with a well executed right foot strike.
But a rare occurrence in any football match was to happen nine minutes from the break to double Illawarra’s lead.
Illawarra’s ‘keeper Jake Webster cleared the ball which took a wicked bounce that deceived the Cavendish Road central defence and ‘keeper alike and found it’s in to the back of the net.

{ 0 comments… add one now }

Leave a Comment

You can use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Previous post:

Next post: